Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update charging issues

Occasional Poster
rsyron
Accepted Solution

Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update charging issues

by Occasional Poster
Message 1 of 15 (11,012 Views)

Hi, I see via other forums that there is a charging issue with the Jelly Bean update on Galaxy S3. Mine has definitely got the issue. When charging via AC it shows it is charging and the Red LED is on. But in the morning it is still sitting at the percentage it was on when the charge started and the LED is still red.

I have rebooted the phone and it seemed to come good for the one charge but now it is having the earlier charging issues again. I haven't yet proved out whether it is just showing incorrectly and it is in fact charged, or it isnt charging.

Is anybody else experiencing this issue? Is there an update coming to rectify the issue?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
rsyron

Re: Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update charging issues

by Occasional Poster
Message 2 of 15 (10,989 Views)

I have had it on charge for over 8 hours now and the percentage has moved from 40% to 63%. Red LED still glowing.

Please use plain text.
Android Enthusiast
Ahmato

by Android Enthusiast Android Enthusiast
Message 3 of 15 (10,985 Views)
Have you tried giving the the handset a factory reset?
Thought I was helpful? Click the Star :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
rsyron

by Occasional Poster
Message 4 of 15 (10,965 Views)

I tried that last night and left it charging... now its at 71% and the Red LED is still lit. So it hasnt fixed the issue.

Is there a way I can go back to the previous version?

Please use plain text.
chrisr

by chrisr Member
Message 5 of 15 (10,961 Views)
Mine is similar but eventually gets to 100% but seems to take way longer than it did with ICS. I've also noticed that the LED charging light isn't as bright as out used to be either.
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Maddie

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 6 of 15 (10,917 Views)

Hi rsyron,

rsyron wrote: When charging via AC it shows it is charging and the Red LED is on. But in the morning it is still sitting at the percentage it was on when the charge started and the LED is still red.

I have rebooted the phone and it seemed to come good for the one charge but now it is having the earlier charging issues again. I haven't yet proved out whether it is just showing incorrectly and it is in fact charged, or it isnt charging.

I have had it on charge for over 8 hours now and the percentage has moved from 40% to 63%. Red LED still glowing.

I tried that last night and left it charging... now its at 71% and the Red LED is still lit. So it hasnt fixed the issue. Is there a way I can go back to the previous version

I'll help you with your current battery issue and any other queries that you may have.

This shouldn't be happening and it's great to hear you've completed some troubleshooting steps to try and have this problem resolved. Rolling back your phones software isn't an option, as updates contain fixes for any bugs and glitches

At this stage we have no information on any future updates however you can keep an eye on our blog here, for any future software updates.

As completing a factory reset hasn't improved your battery charging issue, I would suggest visiting your local Vodafone store to have your handset accessed for repair. Our phones are covered by a 24 month warranty to cover you from the cost of repairing a defective device and you can read more about this here.

You can locate your nearest Vodafone store by clicking here. You also have the option of booking your handset in for repair through our online Service Centre here. This can help speed up the repair process and turn around time.

At the end of the day I want your handset to be working the way it should and it would be great if you could please keep us posted on how you go.

Thanks,
Maddie

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Maddie

[ Edited ]
by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 7 of 15 (10,912 Views)

Hi chrisr,

chrisr wrote: Mine is similar but eventually gets to 100% but seems to take way longer than it did with ICS. I've also noticed that the LED charging light isn't as bright as out used to be either.

It's disappointing to hear you've noticed some difficulties with your Samsung Galaxy S III since the update and I would love to make sure we get it back up and running smoothly for you.

Have you tried backing up your phone and doing a factory reset, as Ahmato has suggested above? This is a great preliminary  troubleshooting step for any issues that pop up after an update. If you're not sure how to do this we've got a great online guide with step by step instructions here

If you're still facing issues after completing this, then you may need to have your phone accessed for repair in store. I've listed details on how to book your handset in for repair in my reply above to rsyron.

If you have any further questions or concerns or if there’s anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Thanks,
Maddie

[EDIT-clarity]

Please use plain text.
chrisr

[ Edited ]
by chrisr Member
Message 8 of 15 (10,886 Views)

Thanks Maddie and yes I've done a factory reset. The s3 seems very sluggish after jelly bean with the app draw taking sometimes up to 5 seconds to open, widgets going black on the home screen when closing apps as well as the home screen ocasionally flashing when waking the device before it shows the lock screen.

I was really pleased with my phone until the update - now it kinda frustrates me. My partner has the 4G version and had none of these issues running jelly bean.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
rsyron

by Occasional Poster
Message 9 of 15 (10,877 Views)

Thanks Maddie. I have discovered something which makes no sense at all today. I didnt charge the Galaxy last night and it dropped to 10% charge. I used the charger on my work Blackberry and that was charged perfectly, from totally flat, overnight. So the charger should be okay.

I plugged the Galaxy back in and used it this morning to update some apps and send some msg's. The charge actually went down to 7%, while it said it was charging. During the 20 minute drive into work I plugged the Galaxy into the car charger in the hope it stayed alive. When i got to the office it was 16% charged. With this in mind I plugged the Galaxy into my PC at work using the usb cable. It took about 5 hours but it has charged to 100% and the green LED is now on.

This makes no sense but I am happy that I know how to charge the Galaxy. I will put it on a different charger at home tonight and see what happens. I am confident that the current one is ok though because it charged my other phone as per normal

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
rsyron

by Occasional Poster
Message 10 of 15 (10,843 Views)

Ok... Used different charger, different wall socket for an overnight charge. It said it was charging. Last night it showed 59%... this morning 62%... Charging via PC now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1y ago
  • 0 Kudos
  • 7 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?