Galaxy Nexus Freezing quite often.

Experienced Member
JayLee

Galaxy Nexus Freezing quite often.

by JayLee Experienced Member
Message 1 of 19 (2,417 Views)
My Galaxy Nexus has been freezing quite often. About once every day, it seems to become unresponsive. - Screen is Off - All buttons including the power button is unresponsive - Cannot turn on or off - Need to take the battery out and put it back in for it to restart. I have had this problem for a while and have tried resetting the phone a few times and without installing apps on them but still no luck. Is it possible this handset is faulty and might need to be replaced?
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Nick

Re: Galaxy Nexus Freezing quite often.

by Help and Support Help and Support
Message 2 of 19 (2,323 Views)

Hey JayLee,

JayLee wrote:
My Galaxy Nexus has been freezing quite often. I have had this problem for a while and have tried resetting the phone a few times and without installing apps on them but still no luck. 

Do you mean a full restore to factory settings? If you haven't tried this already, this is what I would do first. Make sure you back up the data on your phone first, as you will lose it otherwise.

It's also important to check that your phones software is up to date. There are details of the current version of the operating system available on our blog, here. Software updates contain many fixes for small bugs and glitches, so it's always a good idea to make sure you're up to date, especially when you're experiencing issues like this.

If neither of these fix the issue, there may well be a fault with your phone. This being the case, your best option would be to take it to a Vodafone store to have it assessed by our staff. Your Nexus should be covered under warranty. You can find your nearest Vodafone store using our Store Locator. To save time, you may also like to book in online for a service. This will ensure your Nexus is out of action for as little time as possible.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sargie

by sargie Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 19 (2,279 Views)

Hi - did you manage to fix this issue?  The same happened to me twice yesterday.

Unfortunately i'm on my 2nd phone following my initial boot-loop problems (refer to forum post here -- http://community.vodafone.com.au/t5/iPhone-and-Android/Galaxy-nexus-boot-loop-problems/td-p/88193

I don't want to return the phone again.

Maddie - although the suggestion to check for the latest version is a good one, unfortunately, Vodafone are TWO VERSIONS behind at the moment, so yes, updating is very likely to fix any bugs but impossible unless you root the phone and install a custom rom.  

Please use plain text.
Regular Poster
Hinee

by Regular Poster
Message 4 of 19 (2,272 Views)

custom roms aren't necessary for upgrading manually, it's really quite a simple process. i'm on 4.0.2 atm but am eagerly awaiting the release this month of 4.0.5.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Bruno

Message 5 of 19 (2,254 Views)

Hi sargie,

If you're having a freezing issue with your handset, then we really need to get that fixed for you.

Have you tried any basic troubleshooting for this issue already?

I thoroughly recommend backing up  your handset before doing any troubleshooting, just to ensure that you don't loose any important data.

A great first step, is to try a re-install of your handset's firmware/software. A full erase and reset will do a fresh installation of the software on your handset, and will often resolve issues like this.

If an erase and reinstall does not fix the issue, then it is highly likely that there is a fault in your handset's hardware, and your best course of action would be to have the handset assessed for repairs.

Cheers,

-Bruno.

Please use plain text.
Experienced Member
JayLee

by JayLee Experienced Member
Message 6 of 19 (2,208 Views)
tried everything including reinstalling, so I am backing it up now and send it for a service.. gonna suck so bad without a smartphone for 7 to 14 days...
Posted from Facebook
Please use plain text.
Help and Support
James

Message 7 of 19 (2,155 Views)

Hi again JayLee,

Booking the handset in for a service is going to be the best course of action, so that we are able to review the device for any potential issues.

You can book your handset in for a service by using the link that Nick has posted above, or alternatively, If you would like me to give you a hand with this process, please send an email to online.help@vodafone.com.au with C777CJJGI in the subject, and put your mobile number, account pin and a link to your thread on the Community in the body of the message.

Regards,

James. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jamesdeng

by jamesdeng Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 19 (1,986 Views)

I have encountered this problem three times this Monday. Today I went to the vodafone store, but the technical support guy said that I can't reproduce this problem in front of him, so he can't do anything for me.

Is anyone able to reproduce this problem?

Now I am so dissappointed to the Galaxy Nexus.

Please use plain text.
Help and Support
Caitlin

Message 9 of 19 (1,930 Views)

Hi jamesdeng,

It would be a shame for you to dislike your phone over this issue, and I would like to assist you with recertifying the issue. 

jamesdeng wrote:

I have encountered this problem three times this Monday. Today I went to the vodafone store, but the technical support guy said that I can't reproduce this problem in front of him, so he can't do anything for me.

An intermittent issue like this can be hard to diagnose and ensuring we've taken the right steps will definitely help us isolate and determine any issues. I do recommend backing up your phones data and completing a full factory restore. Doing this will refresh your phone and rid any bugs that may be hidden in your phone.

You can certainly pre book your phone in for a service online here. You'll just to provide some details of the issue you are experiencing with your phone. Once you've completed booking your phone in for a service online, you can swing by your nearest Vodafone store and leave it with them to send it off to our repair centre - they won't need to look at your phone themselves as you've already booked it in :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Cait

Please use plain text.
Occasional Poster
saifeeab

by Occasional Poster
Message 10 of 19 (1,912 Views)

This is a common problem of Nexus with 4.0.1. Since I have got the phone in December my phone has had more freezes than my fingers can count. The freezing does not follow any pattern and does not care whether you are in a crowded train in the morning, in a bus or sitting at work :smileyindifferent:. The only way to re-start is to re-insert the battery. I have even tried hard-resetting the phone to factory default but that did nothing either. After reading various andriod sites and forums I found out that this is a problem with 4.0.1 and Google has released various firmware updates to rectify the problem. The latest 4.0.4 is said to have resolved this problem to a great extent.

I seriously doubt that the Vodafone tech dept would be able to resolve your problem and sadly :smileyfrustrated: we are still awaiting the lastest update to be released by Vodafone here. If they do resolve your problem let me know and maybe I might give my phone to them too :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2y ago
  • 1 Kudo
  • 15 Contributors
Announcements
Kudos 101- Don't be shy, hand it out today
Switch to mobile
Using a smaller screen?